Monday, September 28, 2020

Dark Tower Re-Read, Book 6: Song of Susannah

 


Stephen King's Dark Tower series has become one of my favorites in recent years. My re-read of the series continues with Book 6: Song of Susannah. What did I think the second time around? Is this my favorite Dark Tower book? Find out below!


I've been loving the Dark Tower even more the second time. You really need to read this series more than once to fully appreciate it, especially with these later, more complex books. I think part of it is that knowing where it all goes in the next book helps to notice little connections that seemed entirely random before. But also there's just too much going on and too many threads to follow to tie it all together the first time. In the earlier books it's mostly the world building that's complex, but in these later books the world building continues at full speed but the plot ratchets up a few levels of complexity as well.

I think I understand the Rose sub-plot this time (mostly, but then you throw the Turtle in there ... and I'm not so sure). I really love the Manni folk at the beginning of the novel, who I had almost forgotten about. You get more into all the baddies at the Crimson King's behest. We see the Dixie Pig. I thought I would be disappointed to spend so much time in New York and so little in Mid-World, but there's so much weird stuff in New York I don't mind at all. 

The Mia storyline even makes sense this time (well, mostly). The first time through I was a little uncomfortable with the way King treats Susannah, but this time I'm seeing that, horrific as it all is, she really is a fascinating character (or shall I say characters?). I love that Susannah gets her own book (or song!), and that this book has such a unique structure compared to all the other books. I love that it's this relatively short and bizarre thing before we dive into the variegated behemoth of Book 7.

The literary paradoxes I identified in my first review are still there, and still mind-blowing. Would King have written the series without Roland and Eddie? But would Roland and Eddie exist unless King had written them? And isn't ka beaming the whole thing into King's mind, anyway? Whoa.

As delightful as this is from a literary and philosophical angle (seriously, this tickles my mind in much the same way as my favorite philosophical paradoxes), is this also a way for King to make a serious point about creativity and the creative process? Is creativity as mysterious as ka? Is this an elaborate answer to every writer's least favorite question: "Where do you get your ideas?"

In my re-read reviews, I've been asking myself what my favorite Dark Tower book is. A lot of fans don't like this one as much: not much happens in terms of progress to the Tower, it blends into Book 5 at the beginning and Book 7 at the end, it delays the anticipated conclusion, it goes full steam ahead into the self-referential stuff that many fans find off-putting, etc.

But for my part, I love every second of it. The first time through I declared that this was my favorite book yet. And I'm not sure I've changed that opinion. This little gem has a unique structure and it also shows what makes this not just a fun series, but a deep and life-altering one as well. I love all the books for different reasons (see my previous re-read reviews), and I remember thinking Book 7 has some of everything that makes the series great (not to mention that ending!). But I'm going to say it: I think Book 6 might be my favorite. Which is not to say that I'm not really, really looking forward to delving into the last leg of this journey to the Tower.

Long days and pleasant nights.


See also my Goodreads review.


No comments:

Post a Comment