Sunday, September 25, 2022

Wandering Through Another Mid-40's Birthday

 


Here I am continuing to wander through my mid-40's. That's right, it's time for my annual birthday post!

Sometime maybe about 26-29 birthdays ago, I figured out that there's no point in lamenting one's birthday. It's going to happen no matter how you feel about it. Until someday when it won't, but then (in a somewhat Epicurean point) you won't be feeling anything. So, there's no point in getting upset about it either way.

Aside from the fact that the pandemic, tenure, and my mid-40's all hit me around the same time and have sapped a lot of my energy for things (including this blog), I actually like being this age. Or in any case I can't do anything about it, so I guess it makes sense to like it!

Besides, getting older has allowed me to realize that naps are one of my favorite pastimes, and that's not so bad.

And that leads to another birthday insight of recent years: you might as well celebrate them! Because here you are a small bit of this vast and unfathomable universe that has the chance to think about some stuff and enjoy this infinitesimal life in the grand scheme of things. It seems a shame to waste such an unlikely occurrence being upset about things you can't control.

So, it is a privilege to be here, to have a chance to get together with friends, experience this wild and terrible and beautiful thing called human life, to do what Zhuangzi might have called wandering round and about.

And lucky for me: Alice Cooper is playing for my birthday here in Chattanooga this evening! Thanks, Alice! I am truly not worthy of such a fun birthday present!


PS: And as always, I'll end with a song from another great musician and showman that sums up so much of what I love about birthdays! Thanks, Weird Al!


PPS: I always forget to mention that I share a birthday with Mark Hamill, so happy birthday to him as well!

PPPS: Happy birthday to you on your next birthday, fellow traveler!

No comments:

Post a Comment