Monday, January 30, 2023

"Unfrozen Eons Drown the Future": My New Short Story on The Weird Tales Podcast!



My short story "Unfrozen Eons Drown the Future" is now live on The Weird Tales Podcast! You can listen to it on most podcast services. Check out the details here.

A few years ago I wondered if "Lovecraftian climate fiction" was a thing. I'm still not sure if it is. Please let me know if you know of anything like this! You would think it would be a big thing these days. If any subgenre of horror can express the inexorable dread of our looming climate catastrophes, it's Lovecraftian cosmic horror.

(I also tried to do a bit to subvert the unsavory racism of Lovecraft himself, while giving a critique of the powerful few who seem intent on dooming humanity in their mad thirst for profit above all else).

Sometime last year I decided to make my own example of the subgenre of Lovecraftian climate fiction that may or may not exist (I guess technically this genre now has a least one iteration). I started writing in the spring or summer, and I thought I'd use National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) to finish the story. Finishing a whole novel in one month for NaNoWriMo ... more power to you if you can, but that's bonkers for me and my writing process. I decided to stick with finishing a 5,600 word short story, which I did! And I had a blast doing so.

I continued to polish it here and there for a few more weeks, wondering where I might send it. As of now I have a couple other stories making the rounds at various venues, including another horror story and a funny little science fiction story. I published one science fiction story a few years back (coincidentally almost exactly four years ago), but in the last year or two I've been trying to write more fiction and get it submitted.

I thought The Weird Tales Podcast would be a perfect home for this story, and I'm thrilled that podcast runner Tycho Alhambra agreed. I think he did a great job reading it, and I hope you'll check it out.

Take care, and let's hope my story is more fictional than I fear it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment