Thursday, February 20, 2020

Looking Forward to Seeing Con Nooga 2020!



I just realized two things that precipitated this post. One, we're several weeks into the year, and I have yet to make a silly joke about seeing 2020. Two, Con Nooga is tomorrow! If you're not in the know, Con Nooga is a great multi-fandom con that happens every February here in Chattanooga, TN. This year it takes place Feb. 21-23, 2020.


As in the last couple years, I'll be on a bunch of panels, mostly on the Deep Thought track, which is organized by my friend Sophia. And there will even be a Philosophers' Party on Friday starting at 9pm! (I'm pretty sure non-philosophers are welcome, but you may be required to try to answer a philosophical question to get a drink).

Some panels I'll be on:

  • South East Asian Literature (Fri. 4pm; I'll be discussing The Gollancz Book of South Asian Science Fiction among other things with another faculty member from my university)
  • Complete Bullshit (Fri. 5pm; stupid tropes we don't want to see)
  • What Happens When Your Book Starts a Religion? (Fri. 6pm)
  • Jordan Peele, Stephen King, and The Politics of Horror (Fri. 7pm; I'm sure to discuss Get Out, Us, and my love of Stephen King)
  • Problematic Corporations (Sat. 10am)
  • Chernobyl (Sat. 11am)
  • Utopia and Heroines (Sat. 12pm)
  • What is It About Star Wars That Creates Toxic Fandom? (Sat. 3pm; surely some discussion of The Last Jedi here)
  • The Hugo Awards Discussion (Sat. 4pm; as a Hugo voter, I'll have a lot to say here!)
  • Fiction and Climate Change (Sat. 5pm; I would be surprised if I didn't mention Kim Stanley Robinson's New York 2140)
  • Pimp Your Book! (Sun. 11am; I could explain this, but I'll let you wonder)
  • Meta-Cognition (Sun. 12pm; a review of the Deep Thought panels and ideas for next year)

I'm sure to be delightfully exhausted by the end of the weekend. Now I'd better go get ready. See you at Con Nooga!

No comments:

Post a Comment