Sunday, August 20, 2023

Fun with Kaiju: The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi

 


My Hugo reading has begun! Maybe it's because school starts this week and I told myself I'd get a post out there before that, but this review is sadly (some may say "blessedly") short. Enjoy!


John Scalzi is always fun to read, and The Kaiju Preservation Society is no exception! It's interesting that we're starting to see novels set during the early pandemic. And how could a novel about Kaiju not be interesting, especially by a writer as entertaining as Scalzi? 

Sure, sometimes the characters are all just a little too similarly clever and witty (à la Joss Whedon shows), but hey, it's a novel, so I should probably lighten up. There's some interesting stuff about how billionaires are assholes dooming the human race. The Kaiju as something more like ecological systems rather than single organisms is science fictionally fascinating! 

I totally understand how a book this fun was nominated for a Hugo; I'm not sure it's quite groundbreaking enough of a novel for me to choose it as my #1 pick, but I wouldn't be upset or surprised if others vote for it.


See my (even shorter) Goodreads review!

No comments:

Post a Comment