Philosophy and Science Fiction
- "Philosophy as Science Fiction; Science Fiction as Philosophy" (My very first post that explains the guiding idea for this blog)
- "Is the Study of Ancient Philosophy Like Science Fiction?"
- "Interstellar and the Meaning of Human Life" (A video of a talk I gave based on two blog posts - here and here).
- "Terminator Genisys: Part One: Is Time Travel Possible?" (See also Part Two: Genisys is Not About Time Travel)
- "The Doof Warrior and the Value of Subtle Humor" (This post was ridiculously fun to write!)
- "Weird Knowledge: Lovecraft as Science Fiction and Philosophy"
- "MLK, Social Justice, and Science Fiction"
- "Women's History: Snapshots in Philosophy and Science Fiction"
- "Philosophical SF Recommendations"
- "Star Trek as Regulative Ideal: Reflections on the 50th Anniversary"
- "Sci-Fi Stoic Week 2016: Star Trek, Relationships, and the View From Above"
- "Buddhist Philosophy and Ghost in the Shell: Studying the Ghost to Forget the Ghost"
- "A Tale of Two Conferences: Con Nooga and Central APA"
- "Five Lessons from Le Guin"
- "42: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams"
- "New Article: "Ursula K. Le Guin's Science Fictional Feminist Daoism"
- "Mokṣa and Money: Two Hyper-Values"
- "A Tough Mind and a Tender Heart (Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!)"
- "The Atomic Theory of Human Nature: A Critique -- Why (Most) Libertarians are Wrong"
- "Three Uses of Philosophy"
- "On the Shallowness of Modern Life -- Why We Think We Don't Need Philosophy, and Why We're Wrong"
- "Uses of Philosophy, Part 2: Coolness of Mind"
- "Uses of Philosophy, Part 3: Intellectual Empathy - Understanding Without Agreeing"
- My Book is Coming Soon! -- Three Pillars of Skepticism in Classical India: Nāgārjuna, Jayarāśi, and Śrī Harṣa
- "Pre-Prolegomena to Future Discussions of Including Non-Western Philosophy in the Curriculum"
- "The Need for Auto-Skepticism: Epistemic Modesty, Transphobia, and Philosophy"
- "On the Need to Fall Silent"
- "Racism and the Discipline of Philosophy"
- "Think for yourself, Forget your Self: Ancient Buddhist advice for modern uncertainties (Video of a talk on April 8, 2021)"
- "My Appointment with Destiny (if by "destiny" you mean a tweet with several hundred likes)"
Science Fiction-Centered Posts
- "Spock, Stoics, and Buddhists: A Philosophical Tribute to Leonard Nimoy"
- "Death and Utopia: Reflections on the Culture" (On the Culture series of Iain M. Banks)
- "The Once and Future Past: Science Fiction with Ancient Themes"
- "Black History and Science Fiction: A Review of Reviews"
- "Chattacon 45 Report!"
- "Why I Love Dune"
- "Hugo Results 2021"
- "Sci-Fi Plato: The Just City by Jo Walton" (How could I not love a book in which a time-traveling goddess sets up Plato's Republic with the help of robots? See also my reviews of the sequel and the third volume).
- "Review of Kindred by Octavia E. Butler"
- "Daoist Dreams: The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin"
- "Review of Dark Matter: A Century of Speculative Fiction from the African Diaspora (edited by Sheree R. Thomas)" (Includes my reflections on the importance of diversity in science fiction and fantasy)
- "Culture Round Up: Reviewing the Culture Series of Iain M. Banks" (One of my favorite science fiction series. Includes my suggestions about reading order.)
- "Melancholy Among the Stars: Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson" (Probably my favorite book of 2015)
- "The Swirling Depths of First Contact: Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor"
- "Reading The Clan of the Cave Bear in Memory of Mom"
- "The Horror of Ourselves, the Horror of the Unknown: Carrie by Stephen King and The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson"
- "History of the Future: Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer"
- "Invisible Men: Wells and Ellison"
- "Philoso-monks Save Some Worlds: Anathem by Neal Stephenson"
- "Space Chillwave, Not Space Opera: Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers"
- "Phantasmagoric American Myth: The Stand by Stephen King"
- "The Gollancz Book of South Asian Science Fiction, Edited by Tarun K. Saint"
- "Hypatia the Time Traveler: Unburning Alexandria by Paul Levinson"
- ""Politics by Means of Literary Analysis": A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine"
- "Frankencraft: Revival by Stephen King"
- "Melancholy Utopianism: The Ministry of the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson"
Reviews of Films, Music, TV, etc.
- "Review of Mad Max: Fury Road: Fierce Furiosa and the Lessons of Dystopia"
- "Sci-Fi Music (Part 1)" (See also Part 2: Metal Edition)
- "Sense8: Ambition and Altruism"
- "The Martian: Book/Movie Review"
- "More 80's Than the 80's: Stranger Things and my Totally 80's Nostalgia-thon"
- "About Time: A Review of Arrival"
- "Rewatching the Matrix Sequels"
- "The Last Jedi is the Most Philosophically Interesting Star Wars Film"
- "Chattanooga Film Festival 2020: Online, but Undiminished"
- "Bill and Ted's Most Triumphant Return: Bill and Ted Face the Music"
- "Four Thanksgiving Horror Movies to Watch at Home Instead of Spreading the Coronavirus to Your Family"
- "Twelve Nights of Christmas Horror Movies, Part One" (part two)
- "Spoilery Review of Dune (2021)"
- "Initial Non-Spoilery Thoughts about The Matrix Resurrections"
Horror, Fantasy, and Other Genres
- Why Do People Like Horror?: The Philosophy of Horror by Noël Carroll
- "Post on the APA Blog: Horrific Thoughts: Incorporating Student Film-Making in a Course on Horror and Philosophy"
- "Is Toni Morrison's Beloved a Horror Novel?"
- "Is Dead Better?: Pet Sematary by Stephen King"
- "Four Reasons Why I Love Stephen King’s Dark Tower Series (and You Might, Too)"
- "The Horror of Knowledge: The Dead Zone by Stephen King"
- "Almost Philosophical Zombies: Devil's Wake by Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes"
- "Dark Tower Re-Read, Book 7: The Dark Tower"
- "The Epistemology of Evil Twins: The Dark Half by Stephen King"
- "Pinhead the Philosopher: The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker"
- "Fantastic Americas: Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse"
Random Thoughts series
- "Random Thoughts, Part 1"
- and many more... up to "Random Thoughts, Part 16: Dune the Random Things" and ongoing...
Pandemic Journal series
- "COVID-19 Journal, Part One"
- and many more.... up to "Pandemic Journal, Part 24: Best Wishes for Pandemic Year Three" and ongoing...
Miscellaneous: Life, Culture, Politics, etc.
- "In Praise of Paper Books"
- "Nonviolence for White Americans"
- "Commemorating the Anniversary of my Mom's Death"
- "Birthdays and Deathdays: Why Birthdays are Worth Celebrating"
- "Which Midlife Crisis is Right for Me?: Reflections on Turning 40"
- "Disgust and Hope: Thoughts on the 2016 US Presidential Election"
- "RIP Elsie (2001-2017)"
- "Auschwitz, Immigration, and the Currents of Cruelty"
- "Reflections on Life, the Universe, and Everything Upon the Event of my 42nd Birthday"
- "Thoughts on the 20th Anniversary of my Mom's Death"
- "Thoughts on the Pandemi-versary: Will we really learn anything?"
- "Some Thoughts on the Chauvin Verdict"
- "Stairs to Nowhere: A Photo Essay of Things I See on my Daily Walks"
- "Nondualism and the Pandemic, Part 1" (part 2)
Post a Comment