Saturday, August 27, 2022

I'm an Associate Editor at Escape Pod!


I have a new job! Don't worry, I'm still doing my philosophy job full time. But I have a new side gig as an Associate Editor (aka, "slush reader") at Escape Pod!

If you're not familiar with the term, a "slush reader" is often the first person to read a story when it's submitted to a fiction magazine. If the slush reader likes it, the story then moves up the chain to the next level of editors, and then if a story is really, really lucky, it might make it all the way through the highest level of editors to publication.

And the cool thing about Escape Pod is that everything they publish comes out in podcast form as well.

I met the Assistant Editor Benjamin C. Kinney at a Fiction Writing for Philosophers Workshop I attended at St. Louis University in July (that was a great experience I may write about some other time). He mentioned Escape Pod needed some slush readers, and I said I was interested. I've heard from a few friends over the years that slush reading is a rewarding, if somewhat time-consuming, experience. I applied soon after, and well, here I am.

You can see my bio on the Escape Pod website along with the other staff, but here's a screen shot.

Submissions are open on Sept. 1. So send us your story, and I just might read it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment