Sunday, September 4, 2022

Hugo Results 2022!

 


I didn't make it to Chicago in person for Worldcon this year, but I did watch most of the Hugo ceremony online. You can find the results here.

It looks like I did pretty well this year picking winners. You can see my picks here and here. I picked the winner for Best Short Story, Novelette, and Novella. 

I was starting to feel like I had my finger on the pulse of the Hugo voters, but then I didn't pick the winner for Best Novel. I really liked all the novel nominees so I can't complain. While I personally didn't like A Desolation Called Peace quite as much as its predecessor A Memory Called Empire, I'm glad to see Arkady Martine win another Hugo.

In other categories, I was thrilled to see Dune win for Best Long Form Presentation (obviously that was my #1 pick given how much I loved it).  For Short Form, a win for The Expanse is great to see (although I was pulling for Star Trek: Lower Decks). I'm pleased and not surprised to see Uncanny Magazine win for Best Semiprozine (although I felt compelled to give my #1 spot to my new employer, Escape Pod). And one of my new favorites, Shelley Parker-Chan, won the non-Hugo Astounding Award for Best New Writer.

I didn't get to voting in a lot of the other categories. I had some travels and fun times this summer, and getting to everything on the ballot is... well, it's a lot. But, for the first time I finally voted for Best Fancast; there were some great podcasts, and I'm pleased that I picked the winner with Our Opinions are Correct.

So all in all I picked the winner for Novella, Novelette, Short Story, Long Form Presentation, and Fancast, as well as the (technically not a Hugo) Best New Writer. Not bad. Or at least better than I usually do.

I got to read some great stuff as a Hugo voter this year. I always love doing this. You, too, can be a Hugo voter next year by purchasing a supporting membership to next year's Worldcon in Chengdu, China!

Congratulations to all this year's winners and finalists!

No comments:

Post a Comment